




We had a beautiful baby girl Rebecca Helen. She weighs 6lbs 14oz and is 19 inches long. She has tons and tons of black hair and is a joy to have.
If you want to know about her birth read on...if not we hope you enjoyed the pictures.
I went to get induced at 7 am on May 27, 2010. I got there and they started my IV and antibiotics right away. My Dr. had a C-Section planned and came back after an hour at 8:30am to break my water and check me. I was still only a 2-3 when we thought I would have progressed to a 4-5. So they started me on pitocin and I wondered if that was the best choice, but I wasn't having any contractions when I got there (which was why I was being induced.) So anyway, the anesthesiologist came in and talked to me about an epidural but I was doing fine at the time so he wanted to come back when I was a 4-5. About an hour later I was calling for the anesthesiologist to come and give me an epidural I was in sooo much pain. The contractions were out of control and they weren't reading them on the monitor nor were they reading Rebecca's heartbeat very well. I felt a little silly getting an epidural so soon and thought I was being a major wimp this time around. The anesthesiologist was busy with someone else so I had to wait 10-15 minutes. When he came in he gave me a little lecture about how this is a teaching hospital and I can't always have the most the experienced person on. blah, blah, blah. (I really didn't want an epidural from the new guy on, my nurse had told me)
Well I had to get my legs off the bed and I was bent over a table and try not to move for a few minutes. OK I could do this I kept telling myself. Well during the don't move time I felt an unbelievable urge to bear down. So as I am sitting up, still as can be, with legs hanging off the table I'm giving birth to my daughter. Literally. When they finally had me turn around in bed I told my nurse that I was pushing. She checked me and sure enough I was a 10 with the baby at +2 and no epidural kicking in yet. Everyone looked amazed. My nurse grabbed two residents and I delivered the baby in about 4 pushes. One of the residents wanted to know if I could breathe through my contractions and wait till the Dr. got there. Ummm NO! Are you kidding me...I was pushing while I didn't have contractions because I was in so much pain.
So Rebecca was born in 2 hours and I had the lovely experience of natural childbirth. Except my epidural did kick in for the stitches and maybe even delivering the placenta. Lovely!
8 comments:
Congratulations! I love the little bit of hair you can see! Sorry that it was such a painful experience (With my second I had the anesthesiologist place the epidural early so that I wouldn't have to go through the excruciating pain I experienced with the first.)
Anyway, she's beautiful! So glad that you're both doing well!
She is BEAUTIFUL!! I want to come and see her, but I've got to get rid of this cold first.
congratulations! Another beautiful little girl. That's some birth story!
Congratulations!! She is so cute. I love the name you chose.
Good job Liz! (I loved the part when the stupid intern or who ever asked you if you could stop pushing until the doctor got there...what a bozo!) You and your girls are BEAUTIFUL! I hope you are recovering well and I am excited to see more pics and hear about how cute big sister is doing :)
oh I can so relate to your birth story! I'm so sorry! At least you got a beautiful little girl in the process and she sure is beautiful! Congrats!
Liz that is crazy! I hope you're doing well, and baby Rebecca is beautiful.
Don't you love those crazy two hour labors?? Both of mine were like that! Seriously so nice. Why wait for the doctor, when everyone else knows what to do. Congrats on the new baby!!! I hope the next few weeks of adjustment go well for you!!
-Angelia
Post a Comment